Friday, February 12, 2010

Weirdness

I've been off for 3 days now, and I'm convinced that I should be getting up and going to work tomorrow. I'd probably get into less trouble if I did. When I'm home I tend to develop two bad habits: thinking weird and illogical thoughts, and cooking too much food. This time is no exception. Fortunately I will be heading out tomorrow and Sunday.

I see my reflection in the window in front of me. I'm making a rather sour face, and anyone who came to visit right now might think I'm angry or in a bad mood. In fact, I have one of those headaches that localizes right over the left eye, and down to the neck, which is causing me to make some pretty awful faces right now. I'd take medicine, but it probably won't help.

Of course, my screwed up sleep schedule doesn't help. Last night was Mahashivaratri, the Hindu festival of Lord Shiva. The myth is that the Ocean of Compassion (karuna sagara) was poisoned by a demon, and Shiva saved the world from the poison by drinking it up himself. The gods stayed up all night with him to be sure the poison did not harm him. Hence, on Mahashivaratri, devotees stay up all night, usually attending abhishekams (pouring of libations and giving offerings to the Shiva Lingam) or doing Shiva puja. I went to a friend's house for puja, and then stayed up until about 4:00 in the morning. Which wasn't too bad, given that I usually end up falling asleep around 1 am. I always take the next day off, as I know I'm not going to be able to work after a few hours of sleep.

I'm sure all of this contributes to the weirdness of today. So, in honor of today's weirdness, here are a few weird things:

First--apparently it is possible to be bored to death:

Bored To Death?


I have to agree with the findings. Nothing spoils the brain like an overdose of ennui. I imagine this is why lottery winners end up going back to work. Eventually the novelty wears off and you get bored, and have to find something to do to keep you from drooling and imagining your neighbors are conspiring against you.

In honor of Valentine's Day this Sunday, Found Footage Festival has put together their own guide to finding "that special anyone":

How to Find That Special Anyone

If you have a special someone, you might question your readiness for marriage. Mystery Science Theater 3000 provides you with the answer (in 2 parts):



Part 2:




Recently the Republicans had another "Tea Party" convention in Nashville, which is a "grass roots" movement protecting American "liberty", allegedly in the same spirit as the colonial rebels against the British tea tax. From what I can tell, it's more of a convention of old people who listen to country music protecting their right to use taxpayer dollars to build country clubs (no relation to country music), and not waste it on things like healthcare for the poor. Or something like that. In any case, it apparently cost about $350 a person to attend, and they had Sarah Palin as their speaker. I need say nothing more about this, because Stephen Colbert already has:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Sarah Palin Uses a Hand-O-Prompter
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorSkate Expectations



I'm a sucker for stupid cat videos. I can't resist sharing this one. I'm sorry. I tried.




OK, enough for now. I promise to do better when I have less of a headache.

No comments: